Skip to main content

Weight Set Point

Another interesting article http://www.biologiclabs.com/advice/details.asp?article_id=42

I have a weight set point dominant genetics and it does not help me at all in gaining weight. No matter what I eat it just becomes nothing. My body just does not care about what I eat. It just wants to be at the same weight no matter what I do. The curse of a skinny guy. Is there no solution?

Food:
The author says that skinny guys should just eat and eat like there is no tomorrow until they break the caloric buffer threshold. Beyond which point muscle and weight gain come "thick and fast". Unfortunately he does not exactly say what the caloric buffer threshold is. He says gaining 10 kgs at a time should help the body keep its new weight while loosing fat. Basically I just have to eat a lot of carbs and proteins and any fat that comes with it. It seems I can eat bad food too after I fill my stomach first with good ones. Intriguing.

Eating frequency:
The author says that I should be eating every 2.5 hours. Each time I should just eat as much as I can. Should never miss a meal. Alright.

Getting ripped:
Skinny guys will have to grow into the weight and not plan on loosing weight. So whatever the new weight, I just have to keep it there while trying to loose fat. Come to think of it, this is what has happened when I was trying to loose fat after reaching a high of 128 lb and 17% body fat. I was able to keep my weight around 127 lb for a long time while loosing fat. Then I got anxious and tried to reduce my calories too much and lost all the hard gained muscle. Here is the data and graph to prove it





As can be seen from the data I was around 127 while going all the way from 17% body fat to 14.4%. I should have done it slowly. The article says that this process can be slow and can take up to 16 week (4 months).  Well I wish I knew about this before. Anyway whatever I do, I should not do cardio at all. Got it.

Training:
Skinny guys have high metabolism which means that they can recover faster. It also means they can detrain pretty quickly too. So I have to train more often and each time I train I have to lift as heavy as possible in just a few sets. Should be doing just a few exercises per day but should train more often. The article recommends training each body part every 3 to 4 days. This works excellently well with what I planned for my workouts. Less sets and exercises, more weights and more often. Done.


So there seems to be a solution for us skinny folks. First eat a lot. I mean a lot. Then train frequently with heavy weights in low sets. Don't overtrain. I will keep all of this in mind.

Comments

  1. Chandan, you are going through the same learning process I am going through. Your starting height and weight are the same as mine. I hope to learn a lot from your blog and hope its the same for you too. To set up a good diet, I would recommend Anthony Ellis' book "Gaining Mass" if you can get hold of it. His diet routine is thorough and very clearly and logically explained. I hope it helps. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun. I actually found someone who is also going through the same kind of experiences as me! I am following your blog too so it will be a good learning experience for me too. It will be nice to compare results and exchange ideas and tips. I will post as much as I know so others can use the experience and side step any mistakes I made. I will read the book that you suggested.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stats for Oct 2009

So it has been a month since I started bulking up. How am I doing so far? Here are the raw numbers Exercises Squats: 170 lbs, 8 reps Deadlifts: 185 lbs, 10 reps Bench Press: 110 lbs, 4 reps Pull ups: Body weight + 25 lbs, 7 reps Overhead Press: 75 lbs, 6 reps I am doing well in all exercises except bench press. The exercise that is already closest to my goal for end of december is my pull-ups. I can already do 7 reps with 25 lbs hanging off my waist! You can check out my previous post for the goals I have set. Body weight and fat Weight: 120.8 lbs Fat %: 12.2% I am able to add weight as expected. But my body fat % shot up too much. My goal for end of december was to weight 125 lbs at 12% body fat. But I am already over the limit for my body fat %. So I have to lower it and at the same time increase my weight. Very unlikely. I might have to revise my goals, but I will see how it goes and hope to make better predictions for my next bulking phase. It is not at all easy to ke

Strong Lifts 5x5 log

I started strongs lifts on Februry 23, 2009 and ended it about 3 months later on May 13, 2009. Here are the logs of my workouts by day and weight lifted. All the weights are in lbs. The cells marked with a blue background indicate that I could not do 5x5 and so I had to repeat those weights. As you can see I had some good progress overall. I never did squats and now I know what those are and how much I can squat. Bench press has always been my weakest workout. I could not go over the 100 lb weight (even today). For push-ups I used a weighing scale below my hands and checked how much weight gets exerted on it when I try to do a push-up. The scales showed 70 lb (I weight 120 lb). So I am not lifting my full body weight when I am doing push-ups. I was able to do 3 sets of 5 reps each. Then for my next push-up day I kept a 5 lb plate on my back and did my push-ups. If I was able to do 3x5 then for the next time I added another 5 lb plate and so on. That is how I got those numbers for m

End of an Era

Image via Wikipedia It has been a long time since I gave any updates on my progress. Actually it is almost 3 months! There have been a lot of developments on my personal front which was the main cause of this much delayed update. My progress has slowed down considerably too. I was hoping to be at 140 lbs by the end of this year with 7% body fat. That seems like a dream that will not be fulfilled this year. I will not even be able to meet the 140 lb goal let alone the body fat %. So what happened to me over the last 3 months? I have been in the US for more than 8 years now! I loved every moment that I was here, starting from the early struggling days of my MS to my current stable job state of today. However even before coming to US, I promised to myself that I will be back in India after gaining 5 years of work experience in US. Now that the goal has been realized, it is time to move back to India. So in the last 3 months I have been working towards the goal of moving back to India. M