Skip to main content

Body fat measurement: Part 1

I use 3 devices to monitor my body fat. One more than the others, but it is mainly a convenience thing rather than accuracy of measurement. There are very many ways to measure your body fat, but most of them are not accurate perhaps with exception of MRI scan. Even more important to note is the cost of these methods. Some of them are really expensive. This leaves us with 2 ways to measure body fat cheaply and conveniently (at home without having to dip yourself in a pool of water).

The first one being the calipers method where you pinch a location on your body and measure the thickness of the pinched part. Then you refer to a chart that gives you a table of fat percentages for each range of thickness measurement. This is considered to be fairly accurate and considered to be almost as good as the gold standard (hydrodensity weighing) when done correctly. Now for the pro and cons
Pros
It is more or less consistent through out the day and your fat percentages will not change during the course of the day. It will not depend on the food you take or amount of water in your body. So if you take the readings once a week it will be sufficient to see if your fat went up or down.
Cons
It is very hard to master the technique. If you pinch a slightly different location each time then the results may vary. It you pinch too hard then the result may be different. So it is hard to get consistent measurements every time. The best way to do it is to take 3 measurements and then average them.

A slight variant of the calipers method is to take measurements in more than one location (3, 4, 7 or 9 measurements depending on the formula being used), and then plug the values in a formula to get the body fat. I like this webpage for the calculations because they also have videos showing the locations where to take the measurements and how to take them correctly. Again this method also has some pros and cons
Pros
If you stick to one formula then it is consistent through out the day. More accurate than just a single measurement because different people have fat stored in different locations.
Cons
Each formula gives a different body fat percentage with a lot of variance between them. I have seen one formula give 9% and another give 18%. So again it all depends on the technique.

The second method is to use a body fat analyzer that is based on bioelectric impedance. These devices are the most convenient and least error prone (from the user's perspective anyway). You can easily get your measurements by standing on the scales and letting it do its job. A few pros and cons
Pros
Very easy to use and readings are consistent when taken multiple times at the same time.
Cons
Readings are not consistent through out the day and everyday. A lot depends on what you ate and how much you digested and how much water you have in your body etc. In the morning it may say 12% and in the night it could be 15%. So you will have to take measurements more often (read: daily) and average it.

This is getting to be a long post so I will stop now. In my next post I will write about what devices I have and how I use them to measure my body fat.

Comments

  1. Thank you Chandan! I have had a lot of trouble with the caliper method (multi-site). It would have helped if I had seen a demo. Thanks for the link. I will wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stats for Oct 2009

So it has been a month since I started bulking up. How am I doing so far? Here are the raw numbers Exercises Squats: 170 lbs, 8 reps Deadlifts: 185 lbs, 10 reps Bench Press: 110 lbs, 4 reps Pull ups: Body weight + 25 lbs, 7 reps Overhead Press: 75 lbs, 6 reps I am doing well in all exercises except bench press. The exercise that is already closest to my goal for end of december is my pull-ups. I can already do 7 reps with 25 lbs hanging off my waist! You can check out my previous post for the goals I have set. Body weight and fat Weight: 120.8 lbs Fat %: 12.2% I am able to add weight as expected. But my body fat % shot up too much. My goal for end of december was to weight 125 lbs at 12% body fat. But I am already over the limit for my body fat %. So I have to lower it and at the same time increase my weight. Very unlikely. I might have to revise my goals, but I will see how it goes and hope to make better predictions for my next bulking phase. It is not at all easy to ke

Strong Lifts 5x5 log

I started strongs lifts on Februry 23, 2009 and ended it about 3 months later on May 13, 2009. Here are the logs of my workouts by day and weight lifted. All the weights are in lbs. The cells marked with a blue background indicate that I could not do 5x5 and so I had to repeat those weights. As you can see I had some good progress overall. I never did squats and now I know what those are and how much I can squat. Bench press has always been my weakest workout. I could not go over the 100 lb weight (even today). For push-ups I used a weighing scale below my hands and checked how much weight gets exerted on it when I try to do a push-up. The scales showed 70 lb (I weight 120 lb). So I am not lifting my full body weight when I am doing push-ups. I was able to do 3 sets of 5 reps each. Then for my next push-up day I kept a 5 lb plate on my back and did my push-ups. If I was able to do 3x5 then for the next time I added another 5 lb plate and so on. That is how I got those numbers for m

End of an Era

Image via Wikipedia It has been a long time since I gave any updates on my progress. Actually it is almost 3 months! There have been a lot of developments on my personal front which was the main cause of this much delayed update. My progress has slowed down considerably too. I was hoping to be at 140 lbs by the end of this year with 7% body fat. That seems like a dream that will not be fulfilled this year. I will not even be able to meet the 140 lb goal let alone the body fat %. So what happened to me over the last 3 months? I have been in the US for more than 8 years now! I loved every moment that I was here, starting from the early struggling days of my MS to my current stable job state of today. However even before coming to US, I promised to myself that I will be back in India after gaining 5 years of work experience in US. Now that the goal has been realized, it is time to move back to India. So in the last 3 months I have been working towards the goal of moving back to India. M