Skip to main content

Updates on the Muscle Mass Program

Ever since I switched from strength training to muscle mass gain, I have had trouble gaining weight. Unfortunately I cannot blame the new program. There are a variety of reasons that are responsible. First let me start off by showing the chart that shows my weight gain progress in the last 3 months.


Observe how the curve looks like when I am healthy and gaining weight. This is represented by the slopes from 4/10/2010 to 5/8/2010 and from 5/15/2010 to 6/5/2010. Right around 6/5/2010 I switched to mass gain program. And then I lost weight the first week, then started to gain very little if any after that. Now for the breakdown by week.

6/5 to 6/12
During this week I probably lost weight because I was over-training. When I switched out of strength training I miscalculated that I would not require as many days to recover while on mass gain program. I was probably wrong. I went from 2 workouts per week to 4 workouts. With the new schedule, I saw a dip in my weight while I maintained every other variable pretty constant. I ate the same amount and type of food. I was well rested and slept well too. The following week I decided to reduce the number of workouts and went from 4 to 3 workouts per week.

6/12 to 6/19
With 3 workouts a week, I was recovering better. But I was struck with an unfortunate event. My car broke down and as a result I had a couple of days when I could not get enough calories as I was taking care of the car repairs. The day my car broke down (well the engine started smoking due to a coolant leak, fortunately it did not go into flames) I was left stranded for an hour on the road while I was waiting for a tow truck and then I had to go to the car repair center and then walked a mile on empty stomach. I was already a couple of hours late for my next meal. All the while I could hear the growing rumbling noises in my stomach. I knew I am quickly losing muscle. I ate what I could, but without a car I am pretty much out of options for a good meal. And the weekend saw the scale not moving much farther from the previous weekend.

6/19 to 6/26
This was a week when I had trouble finding nutritious meal at the right time due to a variety of reasons. So I had to mostly live on milk. And that caused a lot of problems. I started having trouble digesting milk. Not sure if I am becoming more lactose intolerant or just the excess dairy products are causing problems. I had stomach pain throughout the day almost everyday of the week. I have been eating too much dairy including a ton of milk, cottage cheese, butter and yogurt. I did not recognize that dairy was the problem. I kept on thinking it was some other issue like an ulcer or something. I kept drinking lot of water and waited for the pain to go away. But that never happened. And with the pain I could not eat as much as I should have and what I ate probably did not get absorbed into my body. Again the scale did not go up by much.

That has been the story for the last 3 weeks in June. But the troubles did not stop there. More in my next post...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stats for Oct 2009

So it has been a month since I started bulking up. How am I doing so far? Here are the raw numbers Exercises Squats: 170 lbs, 8 reps Deadlifts: 185 lbs, 10 reps Bench Press: 110 lbs, 4 reps Pull ups: Body weight + 25 lbs, 7 reps Overhead Press: 75 lbs, 6 reps I am doing well in all exercises except bench press. The exercise that is already closest to my goal for end of december is my pull-ups. I can already do 7 reps with 25 lbs hanging off my waist! You can check out my previous post for the goals I have set. Body weight and fat Weight: 120.8 lbs Fat %: 12.2% I am able to add weight as expected. But my body fat % shot up too much. My goal for end of december was to weight 125 lbs at 12% body fat. But I am already over the limit for my body fat %. So I have to lower it and at the same time increase my weight. Very unlikely. I might have to revise my goals, but I will see how it goes and hope to make better predictions for my next bulking phase. It is not at all easy to ke

Strong Lifts 5x5 log

I started strongs lifts on Februry 23, 2009 and ended it about 3 months later on May 13, 2009. Here are the logs of my workouts by day and weight lifted. All the weights are in lbs. The cells marked with a blue background indicate that I could not do 5x5 and so I had to repeat those weights. As you can see I had some good progress overall. I never did squats and now I know what those are and how much I can squat. Bench press has always been my weakest workout. I could not go over the 100 lb weight (even today). For push-ups I used a weighing scale below my hands and checked how much weight gets exerted on it when I try to do a push-up. The scales showed 70 lb (I weight 120 lb). So I am not lifting my full body weight when I am doing push-ups. I was able to do 3 sets of 5 reps each. Then for my next push-up day I kept a 5 lb plate on my back and did my push-ups. If I was able to do 3x5 then for the next time I added another 5 lb plate and so on. That is how I got those numbers for m

End of an Era

Image via Wikipedia It has been a long time since I gave any updates on my progress. Actually it is almost 3 months! There have been a lot of developments on my personal front which was the main cause of this much delayed update. My progress has slowed down considerably too. I was hoping to be at 140 lbs by the end of this year with 7% body fat. That seems like a dream that will not be fulfilled this year. I will not even be able to meet the 140 lb goal let alone the body fat %. So what happened to me over the last 3 months? I have been in the US for more than 8 years now! I loved every moment that I was here, starting from the early struggling days of my MS to my current stable job state of today. However even before coming to US, I promised to myself that I will be back in India after gaining 5 years of work experience in US. Now that the goal has been realized, it is time to move back to India. So in the last 3 months I have been working towards the goal of moving back to India. M