Skip to main content

The Skinny Guy Diet

A few friends and neighbours have been asking me for advice on diet. Unfortunately I am not in a position to propose a diet that works for everyone. I have experimented with myself with a variety of diets during bulking and cutting phases. Some worked some failed. But in the end I am more knowledgeable than when I started, but I don't think I have the silver bullet. But more importantly I have information about diets that works for me. And may be more generally it may work for other skinny folks. So in today's post I just want to layout my eating habits in the hope that it might help other skinny guys out there.

To start off, I have most recently switched away from my 6 meals a day hogging to a more reasonable 3 meals a day with an optional snack. Gone are the days when I tried to stuff myself with food whether I was hungry or not. Those medium size meals every 3-4 hours were just not doing it for me. I always felt full and bloated. Was becoming more lethargic and was gaining a lot more fat than muscle. That was just not right. Then things changed.

The following is what I normally eat when I am trying to bulk up slowly. I will write another post on my eating habits during cutting phase. The general rule of thumb that I try to stick to is try and eat about 1 gm of protein per 1 pound of lean body mass. My weight is around 118 lbs with about 9% body fat. That means I am about 107 lbs lean mass. So I try and eat about 100 gms of protein a day. Simple.

That protein becomes 40% of my diet. Another 30-50% of carbohydrates and 10-30% of fat makes my meal complete. That is the rule of thumb I go with. Pretty much all my meals follow this ratio. And to give you an example, I eat 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites for breakfast. That covers the protein and some fat part. Then I have a muffin or a banana walnut cake. No surprise here I hope that for skinny guys, some amount of simple carbs does not cause trouble and I feel that it is actually beneficiary than eating slow digesting carbs like oatmeal. That takes care of my carbs and fat. Here is one example --



Then for lunch it is mostly chicken or mutton may be with an egg or 2, with some white rice. Yes I do eat rice and as a skinny guy, white rice does not seem to cause any unnecessary fat gain and also keeps my glucose levels up. I have some fruits and vegetables too. Here are some examples --

 
 

Dinner is similar to my lunch except the quantity is a bit less. Some times if I feel hungry, I have a snack in the evening. The snack is usually just some nuts and milk. So there you have it. Hope it helps answer some questions about the skinny guy's diet :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stats for Oct 2009

So it has been a month since I started bulking up. How am I doing so far? Here are the raw numbers Exercises Squats: 170 lbs, 8 reps Deadlifts: 185 lbs, 10 reps Bench Press: 110 lbs, 4 reps Pull ups: Body weight + 25 lbs, 7 reps Overhead Press: 75 lbs, 6 reps I am doing well in all exercises except bench press. The exercise that is already closest to my goal for end of december is my pull-ups. I can already do 7 reps with 25 lbs hanging off my waist! You can check out my previous post for the goals I have set. Body weight and fat Weight: 120.8 lbs Fat %: 12.2% I am able to add weight as expected. But my body fat % shot up too much. My goal for end of december was to weight 125 lbs at 12% body fat. But I am already over the limit for my body fat %. So I have to lower it and at the same time increase my weight. Very unlikely. I might have to revise my goals, but I will see how it goes and hope to make better predictions for my next bulking phase. It is not at all easy to ke

Goodbye P90X, Hello StrongLifts

My love affair with P90X lasted for about 3 months before I gave up. Why? Because I was simply not seeing any more results. I am not saying P90X is flawed. Neither am I endorsing it. It just did not work for me. I think P90X works for people who are very fit at some point in their life, but have since become overweight. Even in the infomercial for P90X, they mostly show people who were rowers or athletes or runners or well trained people who slacked and then took up P90X and saw good results. I am not one of them. I was never fit. Never lifted weights, never ran more than 100 yards never lifted more than 30 lbs using any known muscle nor was in rowing, boxing, tennis or any other physical activity ever. I just have a weak body. And it has always been that way. So I could not use P90X to get back to my fit state. After discovering that it is not working well for me I started searching for some workouts for skinny folks like me. I came across stronglifts . This workout was different. A

Strong Lifts 5x5 log

I started strongs lifts on Februry 23, 2009 and ended it about 3 months later on May 13, 2009. Here are the logs of my workouts by day and weight lifted. All the weights are in lbs. The cells marked with a blue background indicate that I could not do 5x5 and so I had to repeat those weights. As you can see I had some good progress overall. I never did squats and now I know what those are and how much I can squat. Bench press has always been my weakest workout. I could not go over the 100 lb weight (even today). For push-ups I used a weighing scale below my hands and checked how much weight gets exerted on it when I try to do a push-up. The scales showed 70 lb (I weight 120 lb). So I am not lifting my full body weight when I am doing push-ups. I was able to do 3 sets of 5 reps each. Then for my next push-up day I kept a 5 lb plate on my back and did my push-ups. If I was able to do 3x5 then for the next time I added another 5 lb plate and so on. That is how I got those numbers for m